Commerce Software Architect
About Trove Recommerce
Recognized by FastCo in 2022 as one of the World Changing Ideas Awards and in 2020 as one of the World's Most Innovative Companies, Trove powers resale for the world's most beloved brands, extending the life of millions of products and creating more inclusive, less wasteful business models. Trove is the market leader in branded resale and trade-in for world-class brands and retailers such as Canada Goose, lululemon, Patagonia, REI, Levi’s, Arc’teryx, Allbirds, and more. Through its proprietary Recommerce Operating System, Trove is accelerating the shift toward more sustainable business models, foundational for circularity. Over the last decade, Trove has equipped leading brands with technology and operations to create and scale branded resale programs by enabling customer trade-in of items, single-SKU identification and condition grading, site build and maintenance, and customer data collection, analytics and reporting. A Certified B Corporation, Trove is pioneering a new era of retail essential to a more sustainable future.
About the Senior Software Architect
You have a passion for building robust software, analyzing complex problems, and designing solutions for a wide variety of challenges related to eCommerce, inventory management, and logistics. You will ensure that technical resilience, extensibility, and sustainability is sewn into the fabric of our product suite. You will be successful in this role if you are highly detail-oriented, collaborative, and able to effectively guide communication toward actionable results. This role enjoys plenty of heads-down time on technical and analytical activities while balancing person-to-person interactions with team members.
You will be successful here if you...
- Have a strong background in eCommerce platforms and solutions
- Are passionate about delivering well-built software at startup speeds
- Are curious, communicative, and have conviction, yet flexible
- Have a high sense of accountability, and love big challenges
- Hold yourself and others to high technical standards in software design, architecture, and implementation
- Have a healthy capacity to both accept and provide critical feedback
- Are humble, diligent, and have a sense of humor
In this role you will ...
- Guide engineering teams in the design and development of commerce applications, with specific emphasis on Shopify, Sales Force Commerce Cloud, and Big Commerce.
- Meet and coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to establish project scope, system goals, and requirements.
- Translate product requirements into highly technical specifications and facilitate understanding between stakeholders and engineering teams.
- Develop, analyze, prioritize, and organize technical specifications, data mapping, diagrams, and flowcharts for developers and testers to follow.
- Design robust solutions across problem domains with a focus on efficiency, extensibility and scalability.
- Provide technical leadership and architectural oversight on complex projects.
- Contribute to the evaluation and recommendation of new technologies.
- Assist in incident response escalations and retrospectives to identify opportunities for operational improvement.
- Raise organizational awareness of established best practices, relevant emerging technologies and trends.
- Promote consistent use of high-quality engineering practices related to security, scalability, resilience, maintainability, and system performance.
As for necessities, you have...
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Technology, or equivalent experience
- Excellent analytical skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to assess business needs and translate them into relevant software solutions
- Significant software or solutions architecture experience on internet-facing platforms
- A deep understanding of the Shopify platform, and familiarity with other major commerce systems
- Strong experience with e-commerce and/or logistics business models
- A background in hands-on software development, including source control and release strategies
- Deep experience with relational data modeling and database design, including data partitioning and performance optimization
- Solid documentation and written communication skills, including diagramming and technical writing
- Excellent analytical skills
- Experience working in start-up or high-growth environments
- Experience collaborating with design, cross-functional stakeholders and product teams to make the complex simple for users
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and mentor junior members
Bonus points if you have...
- Interest in sustainability
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams
- Experience with cloud providers and cloud-native workloads
- Working knowledge of agile/scrum/kanban and common SDLC processes
- Familiarity with CI/CD practices and tooling
- A well-honed architectural aesthetic
Why Work Here?
- Flexible Remote Workplace - Trove’s flexible schedule and remote workplace allows employees to take control over their schedule, which is invaluable when it comes to attending to the needs of personal and work life needs.
- Open PTO - Our flexible vacation company policy allows employees to take as much leave as they need. Employees need time to rest and enjoy themselves outside work. Putting a cap on this important time doesn’t help our effort to achieve high levels of employee satisfaction and productivity.
- 401K- Employees can set aside pre-tax dollars to invest in a qualified retirement investment plan with a company match.
- Medical- Trove covers 100% of employee monthly premium.
- Equity/Share Options - The longer the employee works, the more stocks become available to purchase.
- Learning Fund- Exempt employees have access to a pool of funds to support execution of their self-development goals and objectives.
- Partner Discounts- Enjoy eligibility for Pro Accounts and various partner discounts from Patagonia, Arcteryx and Eileen FIsher
- Mission Driven- Work alongside passionate people to build the leading recommerce infrastructure and the circular economy.
Trove is committed to creating an equitable and transparent workplace. The annual compensation range for this position is $131,550-$195,400 plus competitive bonus and equity. Final compensation will be determined based on experience, location and skills and may vary from the range listed above.
Trove is proud to be an equal opportunity company but we don’t want to stop there. We strive to be an anti-racist company and we believe that diversity and gender balance will help us reach our full potential. At Trove we are building a company where we are not only proud of our mission, but how we are pursuing it. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status and we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
Trove requires all employees to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment, subject to exemptions for sincerely held religious beliefs, or medical reasons.