Director of Data Engineering
About Trove Recommerce
Recognized by FastCo in 2022 as one of the World Changing Ideas Awards and in 2020 as one of the World's Most Innovative Companies, Trove powers resale for the world's most beloved brands, extending the life of millions of products and creating more inclusive, less wasteful business models. Trove is the market leader in branded resale and trade-in for world-class brands and retailers such as Canada Goose, lululemon, Patagonia, REI, Levi’s, Arc’teryx, Allbirds, and more. Through its proprietary Recommerce Operating System, Trove is accelerating the shift toward more sustainable business models, foundational for circularity. Over the last decade, Trove has equipped leading brands with technology and operations to create and scale branded resale programs by enabling customer trade-in of items, single-SKU identification and condition grading, site build and maintenance, and customer data collection, analytics and reporting. A Certified B Corporation, Trove is pioneering a new era of retail essential to a more sustainable future.
About the Director, Data Engineering role
As the director of ML & DE, you will help Trove continue to develop its machine learning systems and data pipelines, focusing on delivering cost saving or revenue generating product features, with a particular focus on computer vision applications. You will be responsible for enabling your team in implementing machine learning and data engineering systems that will operate at industrial scale. You will work closely with the product team to guide the company’s roadmap and strategy as it relates to machine learning, catalog engineering, and analytics engineering.
This position reports to the CTO and will have a close working relationship with the broader Engineering team, Product, Partnerships, and Analytics.
- Lead, teach, coach, and manage a team of catalog engineers, analytics engineers, and machine learning scientists as the team executes on the company’s core mission.
- Drive effective prioritization to maximize scalability of the core business.
- Partner with Architecture and Cloud Engineering to design cloud infrastructure ecosystem that enables high availability self-service CI/CD for ML and DE applications
- Scale the company’s monitoring and evaluation suite for its data products
- Own the scale-up of computer vision systems that will enable high-fidelity, low-cost processing of apparel and footwear items in internal and external operations.
- Support and monitor the suite of pricing and item valuation features that Trove employs to maximize unit economics.
- Build team success on a foundation of a culture of governance around use of data.
- Partner with the product org to refine a roadmap of machine learning powered features that grow Trove’s competitive moat and increase its capacity to scale.
- Proven experience with managing data pipelines with high complexity, and high fidelity requirements. Preferably with an exposure to external data with variable quality.
- Strong grasp of machine learning with a focus on building the software beyond model training.
- Experience leading inclusive teams and empowering people to do the best work of their careers. Focus on providing continuous feedback, recognizing the individual strengths and contributions of your team members, and helping them grow.
- A track record of successfully delivering large, highly complex, initiatives, as either a manager or a senior IC, through strategic leadership/
- A history of collaborating with engineering leaders and cross-functional partners like Product and beyond to achieve company objectives.
Nice to Have
- Experience integrating external data sources into internal data warehouses
- Experience scaling machine learning systems to millions of users
- Proven experience building cross functional engineering teams
- Retail and/or Ecommerce experience
Why Work Here?
- Flexible Remote Workplace - Trove’s flexible schedule and remote workplace allows employees to take control over their schedule, which is invaluable when it comes to attending to the needs of personal and work life needs.
- Open PTO - Our flexible vacation company policy allows employees to take as much leave as they need. Employees need time to rest and enjoy themselves outside work. Putting a cap on this important time doesn’t help our effort to achieve high levels of employee satisfaction and productivity.
- 401K- Employees can set aside pre-tax dollars to invest in a qualified retirement investment plan with a company match.
- Medical- Trove covers 100% of employee monthly premium.
- Equity/Share Options - The longer the employee works, the more stocks become available to purchase.
- Learning Fund- Exempt employees have access to a pool of funds to support execution of their self-development goals and objectives.
- Partner Discounts- Enjoy eligibility for Pro Accounts and various partner discounts from Patagonia, Arcteryx and Eileen FIsher
- Mission Driven- Work alongside passionate people to build the leading recommerce infrastructure and the circular economy.
Trove is committed to creating an equitable and transparent workplace. The annual compensation range for this position is $158,841- $238,788 plus competitive bonus and equity. Final compensation will be determined based on experience, location and skills and may vary from the range listed above.
Trove is proud to be an equal opportunity company but we don’t want to stop there. We strive to be an anti-racist company and we believe that diversity and gender balance will help us reach our full potential. At Trove we are building a company where we are not only proud of our mission, but how we are pursuing it. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status and we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
Trove requires all employees to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment, subject to exemptions for sincerely held religious beliefs, or medical reasons.