Software Manager - Vehicle Application Software
|Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Why join Seegrid?
Seegrid is the leading provider of autonomous mobile robots for material handling. Seegrid has been recognized as a Top 5 most innovative robotics company in the world by Fast Company in 2022. We develop and deliver mobile robots and enterprise software for global leaders in logistics, manufacturing, warehousing, and e-commerce. Our suite of solutions includes mobile robots, enterprise fleet management software, and best-in-class service and support. Our unique and proven technology sets us apart-our automation solutions have safely driven millions of autonomous miles in real production facilities without a single personnel safety incident. We are seeking energetic, bright, and friendly people to help achieve our vision: to fortify global supply chains and create profitable economies with safe, seamless, and smart mobile robotics solutions.
About the Role: Software Manager, Vehicle Application Software
The Vehicle Application Software (VSW) team at Seegrid is responsible for delivering vehicle-side product features and capabilities associated with our enterprise material handling solutions. The manager of the VSW team owns the application-layer of our vehicle-side software stack. Ownership includes the design, development, support, and on-going maintenance of the software. In this role, you will work in close partnership with Product Management (PdM) and a Technical Project Manager (TPM) to properly define features, scope software releases, and ensure technical deliverables are met by the team. VSW works closely with Test Engineering, Hardware, and other software teams to include Fleet Management and Autonomy Software to ensure coordinated development efforts across engineering and the on-time delivery of our solutions to our customers.
Software Managers at Seegrid are expected to be technical and through their strong technical grounding they lead software teams, keep them focused, identify process bottlenecks, remove roadblocks, and generally set their team up for success. Software Managers are given the agency to own their time. While it is not expected that a Software Manager will spend the majority of their time writing code, it is up to the Software Manager to determine the extent to which they will engage in hands-on development while being mindful not to block or slow down the progress of their team.
This role reports to the Director of Software Engineering.
- Leadership and people management of a team of software engineers responsible for delivering vehicle application software.
- Collaborate with PdM, TPM, and other engineering teams to define, scope, and build distributed material handling solutions - you will own the work break-down for the vehicle application software component
- Promote and enact modern software development practices that will enable the VSW team to deliver safe, secure, and robust software predictably according to the schedule defined by our product roadmap.
- Participate in software architecture planning to include safely and incrementally migrating legacy code to modern robotics software frameworks.
- Clearly communicate performance expectations to all VSW team members individually. Solicit and deliver feedback to your team members early and often.
- Together with your TPM partner, clearly communicate how the team is tracking to its current release timeline and surface any risks to the appropriate constituents.
- Identify headcount needs of the VSW team with proper justification.
- Manage and participate in processes for escalated field support issues.
- Degree in Computer Science, or a related field
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Fluent in C++ programming and modern software engineering skills
- Fluent in Linux systems programming
- Excellent communication skills
- A strong desire to lead a software team
- A passion for positive team culture
- Professional experience in managing software teams
- Strong grasp of agile methodologies
- Experience in mobile robotics or autonomous vehicles in any field
- Professional experience with ROS, ROS2, DDS, or other data-centric middleware
- Familiarity with modern task execution frameworks such as Behavior Trees
Seegrid has been recognized nationally as a Best-Place-to-Work. We'd love to have you join us!
Seegrid is an equal opportunity employer. All people are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We have used the information you provided to populate your application.
You will have the option to edit the information before you submit your application.
Click Apply for this Position below to proceed.
Import your Profile
Click one of the buttons below to provide us with your information: