Senior Backend Engineer, Shelf Product Recognition (Python)
At Scandit, we are developing smart data capture technology that enables smart devices to capture data from barcodes, IDs, text and objects. Our newest product, ShelfView, is a machine learning-powered platform for retail that enables real time shelf visibility and empowers more intelligent and efficient store operations. With our scalable data capture technology via robots and mobile devices, retailers are on track to save tens of millions in operating expense and in turn generate tens of million more in value for their customers. For more information, please check our product website.
We are now looking for a new colleague to join the ShelfView team and work on providing a scalable backend to power visual product recognition. You will be responsible for evolving our backend to scale product data ingestion and provide low latency recognition.
If these challenges sound interesting to you, we’d love to hear from you!
***Please note, this role can be based remotely in the following countries: Switzerland, Finland, Poland, France, Italy, Spain, Germany and the UK.***
Scandit is a high-growth tech scaleup from Switzerland with offices in Zurich, Boston, Warsaw, London, Tampere, Tokyo and Singapore. (Please note this role may require some travel to our Zurich office from time to time).
About the Role
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be helping us to build a stable and scalable backend for visual product recognition. This includes making critical technological choices, design and implementing data stores and pipelines, and optimising low latency recognition services. Additionally, you'll guide and mentor other talented engineers within our team.
What You Will Do
- Designing and managing product data ingestion, storage, processing
- Creating and maintaining data pipelines
- Optimise computer vision model serving in high latency / high throughput as well as low latency scenarios
- Design and maintain external and internal service APIs
- Mentor other engineers in the team
- Proactively drive initiatives and projects, prioritising tasks and resources as necessary
Our Tech Stack
- Python / Django
- GCS / AWS
Who You Are
You are an experienced software developer who is passionate about building, shipping, and running software products in the cloud. You firmly believe in the power of small incremental changes over major rewrites and emphasise quick feedback in development processes, as well as when mentoring others. Your focus lies on producing maintainable code. You recognise that software development encompasses both technology and human interaction. While you stay on top of the latest tech trends, you value proven technologies. You thrive on tackling open problems, taking ownership and effectively overcoming obstacles.
- 7+ years of professional experience as backend engineer shipping software in the cloud.
- You have played a critical role in shipping products with a server side component that had a scalability challenge (throughput, latency) and using a diverse tech stack.
- You are involved in a technical leadership role that includes mentorship and project delivery.
- Are fluent in multiple languages, Python and Golang being your strongest.
- Have first hand experiences with Databases (schema, document oriented) and -stores, service oriented architectures, cloud data pipelines (stream and batch), Docker, Kubernetes
- Are familiar with TDD, Automation Testing, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery
- As a strong plus, you worked on a scalable machine learning model powered product in an industry setting.
- You are willing to go beyond your role, your team and (sometimes) your comfort zone to make a cross-functional impact on the business
What We Offer
Here are just some of the reasons why people choose to build their career at Scandit:
- A highly skilled team and a fun environment where you can put your enthusiasm for cutting-edge technologies to use
- Excellent office infrastructure, optimised for hybrid working in Zurich, Warsaw, Tampere, and London.
- Excellent support for remote work across the UK, France, Italy, Spain, and Germany
- Innovation hackathons
- People-first culture
- Global team outings
- Festive/end of year all company celebrations
- Your birthday off
- An attractive individual equity plan in a high growth company
- Do good and give back with 2 impact days where you are able to give time to one of our trusted nonprofit partners
- Specific benefits related to the location you are joining
Who We Are
Could your code give superpowers? Whether enabling delivery drivers to make quicker deliveries, matching a patient with their medication or allowing retailers to make store operations more efficient, our technology automates workflows and provides actionable insights to help businesses in a variety of industries. This means we have no shortage of technical challenges for engineers like you. Join us, as we continue to expand, grow and innovate, and help take Scandit to the next level.
We are proud to be “GREAT PLACE TO WORK” accredited in the UK, USA, Japan, Finland & Switzerland and “GREAT PLACE TO WORK FOR WELLBEING” in the UK.
Imagine the What. Build the How.
“Everybody is welcome here” - Is a celebrated component of our DNA.
At Scandit we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be a safe space for all.
All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability or length of time spent unemployed.