Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As a Data Engineer, you will collaborate with business units to understand and support business analytic needs with reliable, curated data sources. As a member of a team, you will be responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of data processing pipelines and data assets that support the day-to-day operations and analytic needs of Motive’s business units including Sales, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, Customer Success and Support. You will own driving key data platform initiatives and the life cycle of data management, including requirements management, prioritization, data analysis, data modelling, data ingestion, data processing, data transformation and data publication.
We are looking for strong engineers to grow our Business Intelligence team. The BI team is responsible for building the foundations of Motive’s organisational data analysis capability by building a data lake and scalable institutional data sources for exploration, analytics, decision-making, reporting and visualisation. We aim to drive business unit self-sufficiency by enabling analysts and leaders to make data-driven decisions
What You'll Do:
- Guide and drive requirements gathering, scoping, design, development, testing, deployment and maintenance of new and existing data sources and data processing infrastructure.
- Scale up the ingestion pipeline, data quality, and processing systems while maintaining service levels for performance, reliability, and availability.
- Measure and continuously improve data processing execution times, measure the cost of running data processing jobs, and improve processing efficiency.
- Guide system designs, data architectures, and technology choices to support evolving business needs
What We're Looking For:
- You are a data geek with hands-on SQL experience.
- You enjoy using your excellent communication skills to build relationships with and support data analysts across the business with data sets and tools.
- You are a builder with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in Data Development, Data Warehousing, and Analytics.
- You have a strong background in data processing development with experience building and running large-scale data pipelines, using technologies like Snowflake, Fivetran, Spark, and Airflow and languages such as Python, Java or Scala
- You have experience performing relational and dimensional data modelling, architecting data sources that are optimized for data warehouse, master data, ad hoc analysis and reporting needs.
- You have built distributed systems at scale and demonstrated methodical software development practices.
- You enjoy automating, debugging, and troubleshooting in a complex data environment.
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.