Embedded Firmware Engineer
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As a Firmware Engineering Developer, you will be a key member of the Hardware team shaping the way we develop our products. Both an exceptional technical engineer and self-starter, you are able to design, execute, and test complex embedded features on a range of platforms from bare metal, RTOS, and Linux.
This role will collaborate cross-functionally on the design and architecture of the firmware, hardware and software in the system as well as plan and drive the project to product launch. This person has experience with test-driven development, manufacturing process, writing technical documentation, and shipping high volume and high quality products.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and development of high performance firmware and software for cutting-edge embedded platforms.
- Debug, optimize, and validate firmware on complex embedded multi-core architectures.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams from concept to production on ground-breaking connected hardware projects.
- Collaborate with contract manufacturers to ensure the delivery of firmware for manufacturing and reliability testing.
What We’re Looking For:
- 7+ years of experience in embedded platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Strong programming experience and demonstrated proficiency in C/C++ for embedded systems, including development of algorithms, component drivers, and implementing highly optimized code.
- Consumer electronics experience or familiarity with 3-4 or relevant technologies: mutli-core ARM processors, LTE/WiFi/BT, cameras, sensors.
- Strong understanding of operating systems concepts such as thread scheduling, context switching and memory management is required.
- Proficiency in hardware bring-up and the design of hardware tests.
- Experience with Linux, AOSP, Android development.
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.