Finance Manager, R&D
Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As a Finance Manager at Motive, you will provide support to the R&D organization.
In this Individual Contributor role, you will enable data-driven decisions by providing financial and operational analytics, insights, and recommendations. We’re looking for an independent thinker, someone meticulous about drilling down and understanding data, a self-starter, a great communicator, and someone who enjoys collaborating and business partnering with diverse and talented people.
What You'll Do:
- Forecasting – Maintain and improve the AWS Model, by combining both quantitative and qualitative research to improve forecasting accuracy, highlight risks and opportunities.
- Amazon Web Services - Partner with Engineering to develop insightful analysis for instance forecasting, RI’s, and analyze AWS billing data to identify cost trends, anomalies, and cost-saving opportunities You will play a crucial role in optimizing resource allocation, cost management, and overall financial planning for our cloud infrastructure.
- ROI Analysis - Conduct detailed financial analysis to support decision-making related to R&D projects and investments. Evaluate the financial viability of projects by calculating NPV (Net Present Value) and IRR (Internal Rate of Return), ensuring alignment with organizational objectives and risk tolerance
- Business Performance Reporting: Support development of monthly/quarterly management review presentations. Manage annual, monthly, weekly, and daily reporting.
- Business Partnering – Develop trusted relationships with R&D C-Suite. Collaborate with leaders to understand Key drivers, trends, and opportunities and share insights and recommendations.
- Business Processes and Reporting – Become acquainted with business processes and highlight reporting automation and process improvements opportunities. Assist with the development and maintenance of Tableau dashboards and other business intelligence reporting.
What We're Looking For:
- 5+ years of relevant experience and Bachelor's or Master's degree in Finance, Data Science, Investment Banking, Mathematics, or related field.
- Must have strong SQL skills
- Strong financial modeling, forecasting, statistics, and analytics skills
- Strong communication and cross-collaboration skills with both peers and executives
- Must have experience with SaaS metrics, R&D partnership, and GAAP accounting concepts
- Expert in Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets.
- Tableau, Adaptive, NetSuite, Workday, Greenhouse experience are a plus.
- Experience in a fast-paced, startup environment
Your compensation may be based on several factors, including education, work experience, and certifications. For certain roles, total compensation may include restricted stock units. Motive offers benefits including health, pharmacy, optical and dental care benefits, paid time off, sick time off, short term and long term disability coverage, life insurance as well as 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). Learn more about our benefits by visiting Motive Perks & Benefits
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.