Product Development Optical Engineer
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and experienced Optical Engineer to contribute to our next-generation LiDAR products. The successful candidate will focus on providing technical leadership supporting the integration of advancing our current sensors’ electro-optical capabilities, including the development of product definition and prototypes, lab concept prototype verification, and system-level electro-optical performance analysis. The candidate shall also be able to work within a broader program team and be able to manage multiple activities while communicating across functional boundaries to solve problems and achieve common goals.
- Design and develop electro-optic (EO) LiDAR systems to automotive standards and qualification methods
- Conduct system and component design and tolerance analysis
- Direct specification development for detailed drawings of EO components
- Evaluate subsystem-level requirements for next-generation products
- Establish, direct, and conduct component and system verification and validation tests
- Create and validate system performance models
- Provide technical interface to production suppliers
- Build and test prototypes and support New Product Integration and Advanced Manufacturing Teams
- Apply knowledge of multiple disciplines to troubleshoot system and subsystem failures
- Mentor other engineers and technicians with Optical EV/DV testing and product verification testing
- STEM Degree
- Minimum of 5 years experience with development/integration of electro-optic devices such as lasers, IR detectors, or infrared/visible systems
- Strong image/data processing capability in MATLAB, Python, OpenCV or similar
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- B.S or M.S or Ph.D. in Optical Engineering or related field
- Experience with optical design software such as Zemax or CodeV
- Knowledge of optical ranging performance modeling, including but not limited to NEP, radiometry, atmospherics, and boresight alignment
- Knowledge of LiDAR time-of-flight fundamentals
- Design for Six Sigma (DFSS)
- Problem solving experience such as 8D, Shainin RedX, etc.
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.
At Luminar, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $____100,000____ and $___160,000_____* per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Luminar. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.