Principal Lidar Architect
The Lidar Architect is a staff member of a multi-disciplinary design team that combines state-of-the-art lasers, optical scanners, detectors, firmware (FW), and software (SW) to produce safe, reliable, market-leading automotive-grade lidar systems. The candidate, being the lidar system level expert, shall be able to define the system architecture, decomposing system level requirements into documented sub-system requirements supporting and driving the design team. The role is also responsible to understand and define trade-offs in the product definition phase and during development to optimize the final solution while meeting functional and performance requirements. The candidate will also be expected to support general Systems Engineering related activities including but not limited to pursuit & acquisition requirements analysis and risk reduction through FMEAs.
- Become the LiDAR Systems Architecture expert within the system product development team.
- Develop and document functional architectural diagrams leveraging the system engineering team members (operational concepts, use cases, state diagrams, sequence diagrams, etc.).
- Work with Functional Safety and Cyber Security to ensure architectural compliance with functional and technical safety (ISO-26262) and security requirements.
- Concept and prototype development, architecture documentation, risk analysis, physical design.
- Lead critical design decisions considering performance trade-off and cost/benefits analysis.
- Lead critical failure analysis bringing the system-level competencies and product knowledge.
- Work with Product Management and Business Development in defining the art of the possible for potential and current customers; and in defining the technical roadmap.
- Support the pursuit & acquisition process through requirements analysis and compliance traceability.
- Experience developing a lidar product from concept to production
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM-focused discipline
- 5+ years of system architecture development experience working specifically with Lidar
- Experience with requirements derivation and tracking tools (DOORS, Jama, JIRA, etc.)
- Experience with architectural development tools (Enterprise Architect, IBM Rhapsody, Visual Paradigm, etc.)
- M.S. in Systems Engineering or related discipline
- HW/FW/Mechatronic/Optics development experience
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.
At Luminar, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $160,000 and $200,000* per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Luminar. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.