LiDAR Subsystems Engineer
The Luminar team intends to produce safe, reliable, market-leading automotive grade LiDAR systems that combine state-of-art lasers, optical scanners, detectors, firmware (FW), and software (SW). A multi-disciplinary design team focusing on various subsystems that will be integrated into the LiDAR sensor. The candidate would provide technical leadership for one of these multi-disciplinary teams with a focus on one of the many complex subsystems. The role will work closely with the LiDAR architect and other systems engineering staff members to ensure that each subsystem meets the overall system performance requirements. The role will also support the development of test cases to verify subsystem performance with the help of a dedicated test team.
- Be the technical lead/owner of System Degradation and Central Failure Management Concept that defines safety and availability of the LiDAR System by collaborating with cross-functional engineering disciplines
- Work with the design team to define the part of the system architecture (theory of operation, state diagrams, sequence diagrams, interface diagrams, etc.)
- Work with the design team to define the degradation concept requirements including an initial definition of verification criteria
- Lead the cross-functional DFMEAs for the subsystems with the design team to help drive downstream requirements, diagnostics and special characteristics definition
- Support the development of functional and technical safety concept of the LiDAR sensor
- Lead focused design reviews of the subsystem
- Track the design development/implementation of the concept to show test readiness
- Support the configuration management process for the concept's work products
- Support the development of testing to verify that the integrated components meet requirements
- Drive and execute ISO 26262 and ASPICE compliance for the assigned subsystem/concept
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM-focused discipline
- 5+ years of product development experience
- Proven experience in ADAS technology, sensor integration or automotive systems
- Strong knowledge of ADAS components, including sensors, cameras, radar and control units
- Familiarity with automotive safety standards and regulations
- Experience with requirements derivation and tracking tools (DOORS, Jama, JIRA, etc.)
- Experience with system analysis, specifically FMEAs and FTAs
- MS in Systems Engineering
- HW/FW/Mechatronic/Optics development experience
- Experience with systems engineering in the automotive industry
- Experience designing a system with optical systems and/or complex embedded systems
- Experience with architectural development tools (Enterprise Architect, IBM Rhapsody, Visual Paradigm, etc.)
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.
At Luminar, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $120,000 and $199,000* per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Luminar. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.