Lab and Equipment Manager
Luminar Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: LAZR) is transforming automotive safety and autonomy by delivering the only lidar and associated software that meets the industry’s stringent performance, safety, and economic requirements. Luminar has rapidly gained over 50 industry partners, including a majority of the top global automotive OEMs. In 2020, Luminar signed the industry’s first production deal for autonomous consumer vehicles with Volvo Cars, which now expects to make Luminar’s technology part of the standard safety package on their next generation electric SUV. Additional customer wins include SAIC, Daimler Truck AG, Intel’s Mobileye, Pony.ai and Airbus UpNext. Founded in 2012, Luminar employs approximately 400 with offices in Palo Alto, Orlando, Colorado Springs, Detroit, and Munich.
For more information, please visit www.luminartech.com.
The Lab and Equipment Manager will be responsible for the build-out, organization, management and workflow design to support our growing test labs that performs all testing activities for R&D, Engineering as well as Production. This includes managing test activities that are required to be outsourced to external test facilities. This position will require managing multiple labs as well as ensuring the associated lab equipment is properly maintained and calibrated.Engagement in the early product design phase to ensure Design for Test is achieved, which includes design reviews and Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA’s) as well as collaborating with Subject Matter Experts and the design teams to ensure that the test solutions deliver the highest product quality.
- Lab organization, management, and workflow design to support all testing activities for R&D, Engineering as well as Production
- Identify opportunities for improvement and drive implementation of lab policies and procedures to improve quality, reduce test time, and increase yield
- Lead development of best test lab practices to maintain a high level of cleanliness/organization and compliance to 6S standards
- Lead lab development & expansion initiatives by identifying equipment requirements, procuring equipment from external vendors and work with internal/external construction teams to build up necessary infrastructure
- Implement validation methods to ensure the highest possible data integrity from the tests produced in the lab and support data management system expansion
- Manage test equipment schedule, maintenance, calibration, and upgrades as well as tracking and maintaining lab inventory
- Interpret industry standards and product / customer test specification to derive efficient and reliable test methods as well as provide subject matter expertise to the Test and Validation team for proper test planning
- Provide technical guidance where necessary to ensure proper test execution for complex tests
- Ensure test system are validated through Gage R&R, measurement system optimization and identifying sources of variation
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in STEM field
- 8+ years of experience
- 3+ years of experience managing a team and test lab
- In-depth knowledge of environmental testing, in accordance with customer specifications and industry standards (i.e ISO, IEC, etc.) as well as the testing equipment and facility infrastructure required to perform such tests
- Strong understanding of Quality standards such as ISO 17025, DO-160, MIL-180, IEC 60068 or equivalent
- Familiarity with developing and conducting Environmental Stress Screening (ESS) and Reliability-related life and Robustness Validation Testing
- Must be able to set-up, program, conduct and monitor dynamic and climatic tests
- Strong understanding of tooling/fixturing and related mounting techniques
- Competent in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database programs, data acquisition programs, measuring instruments or comparable
- Efficient in problem solving and root cause analysis as well as hands on debugging skills
- Automotive OEM, Tier 1 industry experience
- Validation/new product launch within the automotive industry
- Previous experience in working in or with a lab to gain A2LA accreditation to ISO 17025
- Background or strong understanding of material science
- Basic understanding of sealing principles and leak testing
- Basic understanding of gas/air quality requirements such as ISO 8573
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.
At Luminar, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $130,000 and $180,000 per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Luminar. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.