Freedom Photonics LLC, a Luminar Company, a growing high-technology company based in the Santa Barbara area is seeking to hire a Senior Test Infrastructure Engineer. Freedom Photonics designs, develops and manufactures photonic components, modules, and subsystems, with applications in optical communications and sensing.
This is an opening for an opto-mechanical or mechanical engineer within the high-power semiconductor laser product design team. This position may be filled at a junior entry-level or at a senior mid-career level.
In this role you will participate in the design and implementation of semiconductor laser packages, assembly and test fixturing, optical mounting solutions, and associated fabrication and assembly processes for prototype and volume production high power laser diode modules.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Production of detailed 3D mechanical designs and prototype procurement and test
- Mechanical stress, deformation, and thermal analysis
- Selection of appropriate packaging materials including heatsinks, mounts, solders, and glues
- Development of package assembly processes; design and implementation of assembly stations
- Definition of metal fabrication/finishing processes such as machining and plating
- Support the design and assembly of laser test and characterization stations
- Optical alignment, integration, characterization, and testing of optical systems
- Documentation of design work and participation in technical report writing
- Interfacing with other team members, vendors, and customers
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Knowledge
- BS degree in Mechanical Eng., Optical Eng., or related technical field
- Experience in performing mechanical design within a 3D CAD environment such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD or similar
- Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to cooperate and collaborate with co-workers, managers, and vendors
- Advanced degree or work experience
- Strong background in finite element thermal analysis using ANSYS, COMSOL, or similar tools
- Optical design experience using Zemax, CodeV, FRED, OSLO, or similar tools
- Experience with mechanical fabrication, machining, and prototyping
- Demonstrated ability to work with suppliers to meet technical, schedule, and cost requirements
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) per ANSI Y14.5
- Familiarity with principles of design of experiment, engineering statistics
- Hands-on experience in components, tools, and practices used in opto-mechanics such as lens mounting, imaging systems, laser operation and cooling, optical metrology
- Familiarity with high power semiconductor lasers and fiber coupling
In addition, at the mid to senior career level
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience working in the high-power semiconductor laser industry
Pay and Benefits
At Freedom Photonics, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $149,500 and $221,000* per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Freedom Photonics. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.
Applicants must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, legal permanent resident, asylee, refugee or must be eligible to apply for and obtain the appropriate export control license from the U.S. Departments of State or Commerce.