Freedom Photonics LLC, a Luminar Company, a growing high-technology company based in the Santa Barbara area is seeking to hire a Product Engineer to support its Instatune laser product platform. Freedom Photonics designs, develops and manufactures photonic components, modules, and subsystems, with applications in optical communications and sensing.
The Instatune Laser Product Engineer will be working as member of Engineering team, with focus on Instatune functionality, performance, yield and quality. A successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining and improving Instatune laser product line, monitor and report yield and performance trends, collaborate with CMs, the fab and other engineering teams on keeping the product line healthy. In addition, the product engineer will help drive new Instatune product configurations and developments to their full release. Hands on product characterization duties can be part of the assignment. This position will interface with customers and suppliers on an as needed basis (across multiple locations), so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute product specifications, test protocols, and validation plans based on customer and market requirements.
- Analyze and resolve technical issues relating to product design and manufacturing. Observe, report, understand and work towards a solution on product yield issues.
- Generate and present run charts and SPC charts.
- Provide daily support to manufacturing for feedback and troubleshooting
- Provide technical support to sales and marketing teams, including product demonstrations, customer training, and technical documentation.
- Review test data and release product to finished goods inventory.
- Generate test requirements for new product development.
- Generate and maintain specification documents and datasheets.
- Generate and maintain manuals and user instructions.
- Work with Manufacturing and Planning to determine lead times.
- Review new orders and ensure proper requirements and processes are documented and followed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge
- S. degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical field
- Knowledge of various types of laser diodes, fabrication processes, packaging techniques
- Ability to test laser electrically and optically
- Knowledge of SQL, C, Matlab, MS Excel, JMP, Python.
- Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to cooperate and collaborate with co-workers, managers, and vendors
In addition, at the mid to senior career level:
- For a mid to senior career level, a minimum 5 years of relevant experience working in the semiconductor laser industry in a similar role
Pay and Benefits
At Freedom Photonics, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $100,000 and $140,000* per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Freedom Photonics. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.
Applicants must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, legal permanent resident, asylee, refugee or must be eligible to apply for and obtain the appropriate export control license from the U.S. Departments of State or Commerce.