Junior Process Development and Test Engineer
Freedom Photonics LLC, a Luminar Company, a growing high-technology company based in the Santa Barbara area is seeking to hire a Senior Test Infrastructure Engineer. Freedom Photonics designs, develops and manufactures photonic components, modules, and subsystems, with applications in optical communications and sensing.
The Junior Process Development and Test Engineer will work with the semiconductor lasers and PIC team to develop a hybrid optical integration process using an advanced state-of-the-art 3D-lithography tool. The Junior Process Development and Test Engineer will also develop and execute test and characterization plans for photonic components, including taking responsibility for building new test sets and updating and modifying existing test sets as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Process development for 3D-printing of polymer optical waveguides including modifying and running complex recipes
- Post-lithography development and cleaning of parts, which involves working with solvents in a chemical fume hood
- Inspection and handling of small and fragile parts
- Detailed logging of process parameters and deviations
- Interface with the technical team leaders to develop lithography recipes, report tool issues, and develop and perform tests for photonic devices
- Perform data collection, analysis and visualization for review with device scientists
- Perform test set maintenance and calibration
- Transfer new test and assembly protocols into production line use
- Generate and maintain assembly, process, and test documentation
- Assist with ordering and tracking of custom parts and samples
- Work with Excel, Power Point, Matlab/Python to analyze and present data and findings
Skills and Knowledge
- Attention to detail and determination to optimize new processes and work with complex 3D-printing tool
- Basic knowledge of cleanroom protocol and experience with photo-resists and development chemicals a plus
- Willingness to take on technical challenges and communicate openly about tool issues and process deviations
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to work in a dynamic team environment
- Experience with Excel, Matlab, Python or other data analysis software
- Experience coding in visual basic, C-sharp, Python or equivalent
- Basic understanding of electronics with working knowledge of resistors, capacitors, diodes and measuring simple circuits (e.g. measuring diode I-V curves)
- Hands-on experience with using and trouble-shooting electrical and/or optical test setups or cleanroom tools
- Basic knowledge of optics and lasers is a plus
- Technical writing skills are desired
- Labview experience is a plus
- Some Solidworks experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, electrical engineering, computer science or other related fields
- 2+ years’ experience in industry is desired
- Other equivalent qualification will be considered
Pay and Benefits
At Freedom Photonics, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $127,500 and $209,300* per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Freedom Photonics. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.
Applicants must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, legal permanent resident, asylee, refugee or must be eligible to apply for and obtain the appropriate export control license from the U.S. Departments of State or Commerce.