Senior Software Engineer - Perception
Luminar is a global automotive technology company ushering in a new era of vehicle safety and autonomy. For the past decade, Luminar has built an advanced hardware and software platform to enable its more than 50 industry partners, including the majority of global automotive OEMs. From Volvo Cars and Mercedes-Benz for consumer vehicles and Daimler Trucks for commercial trucks, to tech partners NVIDIA and Intel’s Mobileye, Luminar is poised to be the first automotive technology company to enable next-generation safety and autonomous capabilities for production vehicles.
For more information please visit www.luminartech.com.
We are seeking a talented Senior Perception Engineer to join our team of skilled engineers in developing automotive-grade perception software for proactive safety features and advancing autonomy levels. Your expertise will be instrumental in leveraging Luminar's Lidar platform to implement core perception algorithms and enhance software capabilities. Our vision is to make autonomous transportation safe and ubiquitous. Far too many lives are lost in vehicle accidents each year. Because when real people’s lives are at stake, driving safely 99% of the time is not good enough. Come join the team of talented engineers and managers to realize this mission.
- Develop and implement core perception algorithms: Utilize your proficiency in Modern C++14/17 to create and refine algorithms for point cloud denoising, sensor degradation, and weather mitigation. Ensure compliance with industry standards such as AutoSAR.
- Process development and refinement: Drive the development and refinement of end-to-end learning processes, focusing on evaluating performance throughout the path to production. Identify opportunities to enhance and expedite the training and evaluation pipeline based on in-vehicle behavior.
- Integration, deployment, and testing: Collaborate with the team to seamlessly integrate perception algorithms into vehicles, ensuring smooth deployment, rigorous testing, and effective demonstration. Uphold high engineering standards by producing quality code, documentation, and conducting long-term measurement or monitoring.
- Compliance with engineering practices: Work within an ASPICE compliant organization, adhering to normative development models and engineering practices. Embrace an agile software engineering environment, utilizing modern tools and practices to optimize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Contribution to module requirements and architecture: Provide valuable input to module requirements, architecture, and execution pipeline designs. Your insights and expertise will contribute to the overall success of the project.
- 5+ years of experience in perception engineering or related fields, preferably in the automotive industry.
- BS or MS in Computer Science and Engineering, or a related field.
- Recent automotive industry experience and proven track record of shipping automotive-grade, mature products to real customers
- Proficiency in Modern C++14/17 and familiarity with industry compliance standards such as AutoSAR.
- Strong experience with ROS.
- Strong background in developing perception algorithms, with a focus on point cloud denoising, sensor degradation, and weather mitigation.
- Experience with end-to-end learning processes and evaluating performance in the path to production.
- Previous involvement in integrating, deploying, testing, and demonstrating perception algorithms in vehicles.
- Proven ability to produce high-quality code, documentation, and deliver on long-term measurement or monitoring requirements.
- Familiarity with ASPICE compliance and adherence to normative development models and engineering practices.
- Comfortable working in an agile software engineering environment, utilizing modern tools and practices.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively within a team.
- Experience with Lidar.
- Experience with computer vision algorithms, machine perception, image and signal processing.
- Experience in 3D computational geometry, strong background in linear algebra and statistics.
- Experience with parallel programming (CUDA or OpenCL).
- Experience with Python.
- High energy personality, with a strong and demonstrable work ethic.
- Demonstrate out-of-box thinking to develop creative solutions to challenging problems under extreme time pressure.
If you are passionate about driving innovation in autonomous systems and possess the necessary expertise in perception engineering, we invite you to join our dynamic team. Together, we will push the boundaries of automotive technology and enhance the safety and autonomy levels in our vehicles.
To apply, please submit your updated resume along with a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and why you are interested in this position.
We look forward to reviewing your application and discussing how your skills can contribute to our team's success.
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive Pay, 401k Matching, ESPP, and RSU plans from a publicly traded company.
- Great Medical Benefits.
- Tuition Assistance, Meals served in the office.
- Unlimited PTO.
- Hybrid work schedule and flexibility to work from home on some days of the week.
Industry: Automotive, Autonomous Vehicles, Perception
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Engineering
At Luminar, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $142,000 and $199,000* per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Luminar. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.