Product Director - Software
Luminar Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: LAZR) is transforming automotive safety and autonomy by delivering the only lidar and associated software that meets the industry’s stringent performance, safety, and economic requirements. Luminar has rapidly gained over 50 industry partners, including a majority of the top global automotive OEMs. In 2020, Luminar signed the industry’s first production deal for autonomous consumer vehicles with Volvo Cars, which now expects to make Luminar’s technology part of the standard safety package on their next generation electric SUV. Additional customer wins include SAIC, Daimler Truck AG, Intel’s Mobileye, Pony.ai and Airbus UpNext. Founded in 2012, Luminar employs approximately 400 with offices in Palo Alto, Orlando, Colorado Springs, Detroit, and Munich.
For more information, please visit www.luminartech.com.
Luminar Technologies is seeking a Software Product Director to drive the product vision and strategy for perception and related automotive software products that lead to tangible software product advancement and roadmap integrity. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of automotive software development for series production- agile frameworks, software maturity modeling, Machine Learning (ML) experience, and autonomous vehicle development.
- Lead creation and alignment of compelling product vision around perception, simulation, and other software products for Proactive SafetyTM and Highway Autonomy
- Lead product development roadmap with engineering team in alignment with upcoming customer milestones and market needs.
- Perform product demos, run beta/pilot programs with early-stage products and samples
- Provide insight and knowledge on the competitive market that helps better position the Luminar roadmap and technology roadmap
- Work with external third parties to assess partnerships and licensing opportunities
- Support and/or Propose SW pricing & product models to better position Luminar with Software as a Product sales
- Provide voice of the customer and strategic input to the solutions team, especially prioritizing business epics from the portfolio backlog.
- Coordinate closely with the cross-functional product team to align on the performance targets and milestone timing for the Software Product Solutions - roadmap and strategy.
- Support cross-functional initiatives for engineering, with marketing.
- Drive prioritization and decision making within an agile framework, including defining required technical features and KPIs with the software, Program Management (PMO) and Systems Engineering (SE) teams, based on roadmaps
- Lead initial and follow-on technical presentations at customers
- Support MarComm team with software/systems marketing and product materials
- Travel to customer locations as needed to support business development.
- Depending on location of candidate, lead European Product Management activities with Luminar’s Business Development (BD) and Engineering teams
- Represent Luminar as the European Product lead at customer meetings to lead or support Product Strategy Discussions
- Support product demos at the customer as well as Global conferences in the region
- Build strategic and supporting business relationships, with BD leading, to better position Luminar at lead customers and support future business growth
- BS or MS in Computer Science and Engineering, or a related field
- 10+ years of industry experience delivering highly successful and innovative products working as a Product Manager for automotive software products
- Strong understanding of developing and deploying functionally safe automotive software for autonomous vehicles
- Strong presentation and business communication skills
- Experience in defining and managing product roadmaps
- Strong background of cross-functional teamwork and collaboration
- Leadership skills in product development and customer management
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to effectively challenge the organization internally, while also building relationships and support within the organization
- Ability to motivate others, drive collaboration, and quickly resolve conflicts
- Enjoy working within a dynamic and continuously evolving environment
- Able to work successfully in cross-functional teams, especially across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Previous startup and automotive experience and business perspective on the AV market
- Master’s in Business Administration
- An impeccable professional record and a strong and demonstrable work ethic.
- Show out-of-box thinking and invent creative solutions for challenging problems.
- The ability to lead strategic discussions at the customer and positively influence them to award Luminar Lidar with future lidar and software wins
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.
At Luminar, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package. This role pays a base between $170,000 and $240,000* per year. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. You will also be eligible to receive other benefits including: equity in the form of restricted stock unit awards, comprehensive medical and dental coverage, 401k plan, life and disability benefits, flexible time off, paid parental leave, and tuition reimbursement for formal education related to advancing your career at Luminar. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire and schedule type.
*Note that the pay range listed for this position is a good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible base compensation at the time of posting.