Who we are:
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. Motive combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to connect and automate physical operations. Motive is one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world, serving more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is built on four foundational attributes; Own It, Less but Better, Build Trust, and Unlock Potential. This has taken our company to great heights, including being recognized by Fortune for Best Workplaces, Forbes Best Startup Employers, and Comparably for our Best Global Culture, Sales Team, Leadership Team, Career Growth, and CEO for Diversity. We’re proud to receive an employee net promoter score of 63 (according to Comparably) which places Motive in the top 5% of companies with 4,000 employees or more.
Today, our team is made up of more than 3,000 employees, located across the world, providing support to a wide range of customers. While most of our employees are remote, many have the opportunity to work on-site at any of our 8 global office locations. Visit our careers website to learn more about opportunities at Motive.
About the Role:
As a Database Engineer at Motive, you will ensure that our databases are performant, reliable, scalable, and automated. While also acting as a DBA overseeing more than 100 databases, almost all of which are Postgres, you will also have a hand in the success of Motive’s expanded use of AWS managed data layer services (such as DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, and Redshift, etc.). Partnering with product team engineers across a great variety of use cases, you will analyze the performance of databases and systems to provide optimizations and partner with product engineers on query tuning to help us keep scaling safely. You will also help run zero-downtime upgrades and maintenance as Motive reaches 99.99% SLAs, helped in large part by the excellence of our Database Engineering team’s focus on reliability.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and implement high availability database architecture in AWS
- Partner with developers and SREs to build and automate the provisioning of new infrastructure
- Continuously monitor and improve database performance via query and index tuning, schema updates, partitioning, etc.
- Collaborate with developers to tune and optimize database queries
- Work with our Data and ML teams on Kafka and Snowflake integrations and data flows from our main DBs
- Database Administrator tasks and maintenance ensuring the health of database tables
- Plan and execute disaster recovery scenarios
- Build dashboards for database health and alerting
- Perform Terraform deployments of database instances, users, groups, and permissions
- Manage database upgrades and migrations with minimal to zero-downtime
- Take on-call duty to respond to production incidents
What We’re Looking For:
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience working with PostgreSQL 9.6+
- Experience building and maintaining mission-critical production PostgreSQL databases
- Solid understanding of PostgreSQL database architecture (locking, consistency, transaction logging, etc)
- AWS managed services experience (Aurora, etc.)
- Experience with high-availability, backup and recovery solutions and strategies
- Advanced knowledge of query tuning and optimization techniques
- Experience provisioning PostgreSQL databases in AWS with tools like Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools like Datadog, New Relic, Sumo Logic
- Experience with other databases like DynamoDB, Redshift, Elasticsearch, Snowflake is a plus
Your compensation may be based on several factors, including education, work experience, and certifications. For certain roles, total compensation may include restricted stock units. Motive offers benefits including health, pharmacy, optical and dental care benefits, paid time off, sick time off, short term and long term disability coverage, life insurance as well as 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). Learn more about our benefits by visiting Motive Perks & Benefits.
The compensation range for this position will depend on where you reside. Motive uses three geographic zones to determine pay range. For this role, the compensation ranges are:
Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
The applicant must be authorized to receive and access those commodities and technologies controlled under U.S. Export Administration Regulations. It is Motive's policy to require that employees be authorized to receive access to Motive products and technology.
Something looks off?