Director of IT Engineering
Fictiv Exists to Enable Hardware Innovators to Build Better Products, Faster
Fictiv, coined the “AWS of manufacturing,” is a leading technology company transforming the $350 billion manufacturing industry. Our cutting-edge cloud platform uses AI and machine learning algorithms to help companies build hardware at the speed of software. Come join our growing team!
The Information Technology Engineering (IT Engineering) team installs, configures and customizes Fictiv’s back office systems used to operate multiple functional areas of the business including: Manufacturing, Sales, Marketing, Finance, Customer Support and Product & Engineering. The IT Engineering team partners closely with these cross functional stakeholders to ensure that back office systems are operating properly, maintained and up to date.
This team sets the stage for ensuring Fictiv's business is delivering on KPIs and goals. This team provides all the execution for Fictiv’s operational teams.
Impact of this Role
The Information Technology Engineering team implements new design and architecture for Fictiv’s back office systems. This team is heavily involved in evaluation, selection and integration of these systems to support efforts to ensure data integrity as information flows between these systems. This team also ingests the data from many of Fictiv’s home grown systems, eliminating the need for manual input and mapping data into more standardized formats that “off the shelf” systems can consume.
As the Director of Information Technology Engineering you will be responsible for driving multiple IT engineering teams composed of contractors and direct employees to ensure meeting the prioritized IT development business needs. This role requires screening, hiring and managing team members based in Fictiv’s India offices (Pune & Bangalore), as well as vetting global contract resources for capabilities. You will partner with IT Business Analysts and Product Owners to understand team composition, size and skill set requirements needed for each initiative.
You are responsible for understanding project requirements, implementation timelines and to provide thought leadership and mentoring for your team with the goal of creating secure and scalable solutions that can be implemented and maintained by your teams.
You will partner with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Head of Engineering (VP) to support solutions engineering cross functionally between IT and Product.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Build a resilient, high-performing remote organization where IT engineers can do their best work.
- Lead and deliver on strategic initiatives by creating clarity and aligning organizational efforts.
- Establish and continually improve team processes to enable iterative delivery, innovation and high reliability.
- Drive near and long-term improvements to engineering-wide activities such as development practices, hiring / onboarding, team cohesion and incident response.
- Resolve systemic obstacles to team health, system performance and team delivery.
- Embrace and extend a culture of transparency, safety and growth.
- Work with your customers to understand when to outsource for skills and resources in areas that the in-house teams are gapped.
- Manage work across both in-house and external resources to ensure alignment and coordination and knowledge transfer.
- Team and project level budget planning including staffing, software acquisition and roll-out costs.
- Create cross-functional trust relationships and ensure you are providing the necessary support for successful roll outs in the required timeframes, and be a leverage partner for others.
- Drive the strategic direction of our IT engineering investments.
- Identify opportunities to increase business value through the off-the-shelf / back office software support.
- Make decisions based on data and trade offs; able to justify and defend those decisions, providing insight to the rationale and details when required.
- Meet targets based on published timelines and estimates provided; escalate when missed targets will happen, communicate changes and impacts to timelines cross functionally.
- Work under pressure to triage, prioritize and solve urgent issues when they arise; minimize impact to the business, create plans to fully address/correct/remove temporary solutions once the immediate urgent issue is resolved.
- Lead service and process improvement sessions with a development team given a range of inputs from different business stakeholders.
- Present to groups of people who have mixed levels of technical understanding; being able to simplify and tell a story, creating visuals when required.
- Build strong trust based relationships; showing business stakeholders that they can rely on you to solve their problem.
- Adept at shifting priorities while maintaining a high degree of organization and control.
- Manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Recommend actionable insights from projects and lead projects autonomously.
- Drive standards and best practices across the organization; exercising good judgment within a broad set of disciplines.
- Lead a team towards high quality decisions when they have differing perspectives and ideas.
- Provide business context for engineers; highlight technical challenges for non-engineers.
Traits of a successful partnership
- Excellent problem solving, decision-making and critical thinking skills.
- Collaborative, a team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Leadership and considered to be a leader by peers.
- Exhibits initiative, integrity and empathy.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people who have strong opinions.
- Comfortable not knowing answers, but resourceful and able to resolve issues.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Self-starter; comfortable with ambiguity, asking questions and constantly learning. Never rests on previous successes.
- Customer service mentality; advocates for another person's point of view.
- Methodical and thorough in written documentation and communication.
- Culture oriented; wants to work with people rather than in isolation.
- Masters degree in Computer Science (or similar field).
- 8+ years experience as an Engineering Team Lead or Engineering Manager role, with a globally distributed team composed of both direct and contractor resources.
- 5+ years experience in combining “off-the-shelf” software systems (CRM, ERP, Finance, etc) with “home-grown” software systems in a production environment at scale.
- Strong understanding of best practices and limitations when integrating software together.
- Proven continuous improvement experience in an iterative environment.
- Proven hands-on Program Management and Team Management skills.
- Proven ability to work with remote teams in non-overlapping time zones.
- Proven experience with leading cross-functional initiatives.
- Outstanding ability to communicate both in writing and verbally.
- Outstanding ability to document detailed technical specifications.
- Outstanding ability to organize work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, fingers, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to work across time zones; this may require early morning or late evening hours periodically.
Ability to travel to remote sites in the US, India, Mexico, EU and China. (less than 25%).
Interested in learning more? We look forward to hearing from you soon.
Our Digital Manufacturing Ecosystem is transforming how the next rockets, self-driving cars, and life-saving robots are designed, developed and delivered to customers around the world.
This transformation is made possible through our technology-backed platform, our global network of manufacturing partners, and our people with deep expertise in hardware and software development.
We’re actively seeking potential teammates who can bring diverse perspectives and experience to our culture and company. We believe inclusion is the best way to create a strong, empathetic team. Our belief is that the best team is born from an environment that emphasizes respect, honesty, collaboration, and growth.
We encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups, including but not limited to women, members of the LGBTQ community, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans.